How to sign a message using your wallet?
Signing a message with your web 3 wallet has a number of use-cases. The most notably of these is to verify your ownership of the address used.
The following instructions will help guide you through the process of signing a message in order to verify that you are the address owner.
For this tutorial we will be using Polygonscan and our Rainbow wallet. We will be signing a message on the Polygon Network.
The process is identical with Metamask, Trust, and any of the other leading Web3 wallets.
- 1.Go to https://polygonscan.com/verifiedSignatures in your browser. This is the Polygonscan verified signatures page and it simplifies the entire process of message signing.
Did you know? Polygonscan was developed by the same team as Etherscan, the leading blockchain explorer in the industry.
- 2.Select 'SIGN MESSAGE' and Connect your wallet using Metamask or WalletConnect if you use a different wallet provider.
- 3.After selecting your wallet provider there will be a prompt that asks you to connect your wallet. Use it to connect the wallet.
Your wallet must be connected to the Polygon network in order to connect to Polygonscan. You can add the Polygon Network to your wallet in one-click using Chainlist.org.
- 4.After making the connection with your wallet, polygonscan will give you the option of typing a message of your choice. You may use this to type the message of your choice.
- 6.Confirm the message you want to broadcast across the network. This is a public message and should not contain and sensitive or personal information
The message will be broadcast publicly across the network so please do not include any sensitive or personal information.
- 8.After you confirm the message content is correct, you will simply 'PUBLISH' the message and you will have successfully signed a message with your wallet.
- 9.Message signed successfully! Great job!